History of the M.F.L.S.
1575 - Founding of University Leiden
Before 1575 is was only possible to follow a scientific study in Leuven in the 'Lage Landen'. Due to the Dutch Revolt, protestant students from the Northern provinces were no longer able to study here. Therefore, a new university was necessary, also because the clergy were trained here. It is thought that William of Orange donated the university to the city after the Relief of Leiden. On the 8th of February 1575, the university was inaugurated in the Pieterskerk. At the time there were 3 faculties; Theology, Law and Medicine.
1818 - Foundation of the Collegium Civitatis Academicae Lugduno Batavae Supremum; Birth of the Leiden student Association
In 1818, student faculties became increasingly important. At the start of the academic year, the Student Law obligated that each faculty must have a faculty representative. These faculty representatives discussed matters with the university and eventually also had meetings on their own initiative. In 1834, there were five faculties, and the five faculties decided to unite in the Collegium Praesidum, which in 1839 transformed into the Collegium Civitatis Academiae Lugduno Batavae Supremum. This way The Leidsch Student Corps was born. The five arrows in her coat of arms show the solidarity of the faculties.
1858 - Establishment of the First Medical Association
There have been many medical associations over the years. The first association was established in 1858 with the aim to study together. A number of major medical associations were named Archimedes and Hippocrates but there were also smaller reading groups, such as Medicinae Sacrum.
1912 - Establishment of the Medical Faculty of Leiden Students, established by the Leidsch Studentencorps
The faculty associations belonged to the Student Corps until the early 20th century. However, many students were not members of the Corps and other student associations began to emerge. As a result, the Leidsche Studentencorps broke their ties with the faculty associations in 1912. This led to the establishment of the “Leiden University Medical Faculty, established by the Leiden Student Corps”.
During this time, a membership at the Medical Faculty of Leiden Student (M.F.L.S.) cost 2.50 guilders. The M.F.L.S. was considered as a representative of all students and participated in evaluating the education. In addition, the student faculty also saw it as its task to help the students from Leiden develop themselves, for example by organising lectures.
1940-1945 - The Second World War
At the beginning of the Second World War, the German occupier closed Leiden University. Due to the closure of the university, few activities took place. However, during that time a farternity was launched called "November 26, 1940", named after the day when Cleveringa protested against the sacking of his Jewish colleagues. During the war, the idea arose to develop closer cooperation between all students. Civitas Academica was established after the war to create a closely connected university community. The M.F.L.S. did her best after the war to strengthen the bond between the students, the professors and academic staff. Hence, lectures, excursions and film nights were organised abundantly.
1969 - Re-establishment of the Association of the Medical Faculty of Leiden Students
In 1969, an amendment to the articles of association led to the re-establishment of our Association. However, the founding date was determined by the General Meeting of Members on the 1st of November 1912. This same year, the M.F.L.S. study materials store generated approximately one hundred thousand guilders turnover, an exceptionally high amount.
1982 - Heleen Marijt is hired
Heleen Marijt was appointed as secretary for the M.F.L.S. from the year 1982 to 1983. The M.F.L.S. at that time had two secretaries, one of whom took minutes at the General Members Meeting. In 1988, the note taker had to be fired due to financial setbacks. Heleen Marijt still works at the M.F.L.S. once a week, where she supports the current secretary.
1987 - The start of Predoctor
In 1987, the first edition of the Predoctor, which is the magazine of the M.F.L.S., was developed. The magazine was published in an A5 format. However, this was not the first faculty magazine to be published. Up until 1984, the “MOL” was the faculty magazine of the M.F.L.S.. This magazine had to be stopped due to inadequate financial means and a shortage of editors. Fortunately, the Predoctor did not face these problems and is still the faculty magazine that we use at the M.F.L.S. today.
1989 - Relocation of the Salon car to the Pavilion
In the summer of 1989, the M.F.L.S. unexpectedly moved to the Pavilion. The M.F.L.S. used to be near the educational areas with the salon car, but now they now fell outside the general student area. The association was afraid that this would cause students to be less inclined to drop by. Fortunately, this was not the case and the new location was opened with drinks and a barbecue.
1992 - Establishment of Medical Fraternity Forestus
The Medical Farternity Forestus was founded in 1992. The idea to start a social faternity arose during the study trip the year before. Not long after its foundation, the first student clubs were formed and the structure of Forestus, as we know it today, was formed.
1994 - Establishment Student Bar HePatho
In 1994 the President of the M.F.L.S., Duco Duchatteau and Praeses of Forestus, Pim Langenberg, took the initiative to create a space where students from the faculty could have a drink together. HePatho was opened in the former Pathology building. Alcohol was sold from off 4 pm. In that time, the management of the bar fell under Forestus, they previously had the HePatho Management Committee.
1999 - First edition of LIMSC
The first edition of the Leiden International (Bio)Medical Student Conference (LIMSC) was organised in 1999. The conference took place in the concert hall and there were about 200 participants. One of the guest speakers at this conference was the 1996 Nobel Prize winner Peter Dorothy. The first edition was a great success ensured that an edition of LIMSC would be organised every two years from 1999 onwards.
2004 - Relocation HePatho, DC and boardroom to the LUMC
Till 2004, HePatho, the DC and the Boardroom of the M.F.L.S. were located in the Pavilion, while the lectures were given in the LUMC. This changed in December when the bicycle cellar of the LUMC was converted into the space where HePatho is now located. The M.F.L.S. study materials store and the boardroom of the M.F.L.S. were then able to move to the LUMC.
2011-2013 - Member Exploitation on the Board
HePatho experienced turbulent times in 2010. The pressure on the BarManagement and the Board increased enormously, due to the fast growing turnover and renewed, stricter regulations. Therefore, the board decided to extend the M.F.L.S. board for two years with an eighth board member. This board member examined HePatho's finances and procurement and improved these processes. The changes made, included the abolition of cash payments in HePatho and the installation of three beer tanks instead of casks. As of September 2013, this function was taken over by the BarManagement again.
2016 - Pharmacy and Vitality and Ageing start in the LUMC
In 2016, two new masters started at the LUMC. The A.L.V. determined that these studies would also fall under the M.F.L.S.. This resulted in an amendment to the articles of association, as a result these master students automatically become members of the M.F.L.S. The functions of both the Education board Members were therefore extended with a second study. In 2018 their title was also changed to "Member Education Medicine and Pharmacy" and "Member Education Biomedical Sciences and Vitality and Ageing".